Wednesday, September 24, 2008

How can you help??

If you find any groups or organisations that I have not listed I would be happy for you to forward the details on to me... and if they respond to my enquiries I will add them to the list.
If you can knit, sew or crochet then you can help by making items of your choice. Also there are a host of other things you can do to help if you do not sew or knit etc.. you can make a donation of wool or fabric that can be made into an item of need.. many organisations would love help with items such as paper, cards, envelopes, etc. anything that helps in the organisation is of benefit......
I have contact details for all the organisations I will be listing and they all acknowledge receipt of the items that are sent to them.. I find that if they take 5 minutes out of their day to email me that items have arrived safely, then they are really there to care about those we are all really trying to help. After all it is nice to know that the people we are making things for are actually receiving them.....
Why I do it this way is because I found a garment I had donated to one organisation was for sale in their 'shop'... I had stated when I first started donating that the items were to be handed over to the people they were made for.. those in real need.. the homeless and the needy...
I have nothing against organisations selling items for money to help the needy but I felt the item I had made and donated would benefit a needy person much more than a "bargain shopper". no offence meant here... and I had requested it be given to someone who normally would never receive a brand new item of clothing for themselves...
another parcel I sent thru the mail with numerous articles of clothing and items for the homeless, to a different organisation, was never acknowledged. I presume it arrived safely at its destination but I will just have to hope that it eventually was handed over to it's intended recipients..... it costs us nothing to send an email but a little time and a touch of effort.... but by acknowledging that items have arrived safely at their destinations does make the sender/donor feel more comfortable to send on future donations... this is just my thoughts though.. and a sign of respect....

No comments: